Friday, May 22, 2009

Pretty Bird





Well, our chitlin's got to have a nice Wildlife filled day. First was with a little bird that fell out of our cedar tree. We've had a lot of wind and rain lately and it's literally been pouring bird nests. Not all of them were as fortunate as this guy. We have found several dead birdies and have found 3 nests, some with eggs that were not able to be saved. Apparently birds love cedar trees, which would account for us being woken up every morning by a chorus of birds(we have 3 cedars)I guess it's a nice way to wake up. Anyway, we got the address for a wildlife sanctuary from our nieghbor and drove the little guy down there this evening. While I was outside with Jake looking at all of the ducks, geese, swans and other wildlife, Ben was inside watching the baby bird get weighed and have a food syringe stuck down his throat to feed him. I think our little bird is going to be just fine. We had our second encounter on our way out of the sanctuary with a nasty rattle snake in the road. He was huge!!! So naturally we stopped to take a picture from the safety of our car. As we were sitting there taking our picture we had our third encounter. Some nice country folk (a mother and young daughter) were at the stop sign in their golf cart, so Ben pointed to the snake to tell them to watch out. The Mother yelled 'Holy S***'. (such nice refined country manners) Much to our dismay Jacob laughed at her yelling the expletive and proceeded to copy her. Somehow he garbled the first biblical word but got the offending word out nice and crisp. Funny how that happens. Like I said, we had a nice wildlife filled day...of both animal and human variety.

3 comments:

Martha said...

Ha ha!! Jake. That kid is funny. I am glad the little bird is now in good hands and the snake didn't get you.

AuntKatween said...

I almost peed my pants reading this. I love Jacob!

Shauna said...

So you got yourselves a little cusser huh? :) That is so funny.

I didn't even know there WERE rattlesnakes in NC!

That's awesome you guys saved the bird! I wouldn't have even thought to call a sanctuary. Good work Rowlands!

Oh and very cute picture of the boys above.