Friday, March 18, 2011

Mom, what is this place?



OK, this is a true story. We were out with kids the other night and Ben decides that he wants to get the kids a milkshake. So he swings over to McDonald's. We don't usually ever go here and for good reason. We are waiting in line and Tommy pipes up from the back "Hey, Mom, what does that say under the road there?", "What road, I don't see it?" "Right there under that yellow road" I finally realize what he's talking about. He thinks that the Golden arches look like a road. So I tell him that it says McDonald's. Jacob finally says "Mom, What is this place?" Wow! this is when I finally realize that I have never taken my kids out for fast food before. I tell them that it's where some people come to get food. Finally after a ridiculous amount of time waiting we get the little milkshakes and give them to the boys and they say "what is this?" WHAT??? "It's a milkshake." "What's a milkshake?" "well, it's like ice cream that you drink through a straw." So long story longer, they drank some said they kinda liked them but they didn't drink much. And you know what? I have to say that I'm not that disappointed that they didn't know what it was, I was kind of proud. Not to mention that in Kindergarten, they were doing recognizable signs and one of then was a Burger King sign. Jake didn't know what that was either and he got it marked wrong and didn't get a 100 on his paper. Are you kidding? my kid should have gotten extra credit for that!!!

4 comments:

Lildonbro said...

Considering that the government wants to do it's part to make sure our children are not obese I don't think it's right that in a PUBLIC school he should lose points for not knowing the sign of one of the main contributers to childhood obesity. I'm with you, he should have gotten extra credit.

I love those kids and I love that they don't know what McDonald's is. It's better for them this way.

Shauna said...

i love that you don't do fast food! i def. started off on the wrong foot in that department.

Martha said...

I love that! What is this place?

I can totally see Tommy asking about the road, too! LOL

AuntKatween said...

AWESOME!! Good job Joanna:)